Thinking of selling or letting your property?
Practical planning for moving day
4 weeks before….
- Complete a change of address form at the Post Office to re-route mail (www.royalmail.com)
- Inform magazine subscriptions and clubs of your new address and moving date
- Decide which items you’re keeping and which you can chuck or donate to charity
- Notify water, gas, and electricity suppliers to have your services switched off at your present address
- Arrange for utility connections at your new home
- Contact your new local authority about schools and colleges in your area
- Notify schools, churches etc of your impending move
- Notify your own and research alternative doctors, dentists in your area and liaise with your hospital if you’re undergoing any regular treatment
- Check parking arrangements at your new home and apply for permits if necessary
- Get to know your new area and work the best routes to work and school.
- Book removal company or arrange help from friends, van rental etc.
3 weeks before….
- Request packing materials from your removals company, or buy some if you are doing it yourself
- Return things you’ve borrowed from friends
- Start to run down the contents of your freezer
- Arrange to transfer home insurance, or set up new policies to begin the day you move in.
- Arrange transit insurance if necessary
- Research car boot sales to get rid of stuff you’re not taking
2 weeks before….
- Discontinue regular services such as newspapers, window cleaners etc
- Arrange to have your satellite dish moved to your new property if necessary
- Arrange to discontinue your phone service and broadband and have it installed at your new home
- Arrange to transfer your TV licence to your new home (www.tvlicensing.co.uk/moving)
- Complete relevant section on your car registration document and licence and send to the DVLA
- Call your vehicle insurance to keep your cover valid. The price may change due to the change in your parking circumstances and the postcode
1 week before….
- Arrange to transfer bank and savings accounts
- Tell credit and store card companies your new address
- Finish up your frozen food supply or give it away
- Find and label keys
- Send out change of address card, text messages and social media alerts, facebook etc.
- Notify relevant authorities in your old and new area regarding council tax and electoral registration
1 day before….
- Defrost and thoroughly clean the fridge and freezer
- Take down pictures, mirrors, non-esstential curtains and blinds
- Disconnect your cooker, washing machine and dishwasher
- Confirm minders for children and pets
- Make sure you personally take cash and jewellery with you
- Lock all windows and doors when you leave
Download the PDF here