Home Sweet HMO
If you’re a landlord in Watford and need to know more about HMO’s, here is an extract from Watford Borough Councils latest magazine that covers some of the most important aspects of this type of letting arrangement.
Whether you’re studying or working, a home in Watford provides an excellent blend of town and country. Yet with average house prices in Watford exceeding £270,000, and with the average monthly rent in the UK being £738, sharing a home is often the best option.
What’s the best sort of home to share?
A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) regulated by the council, promotes the highest standards of shared accommodation to protect tenants. With a HMO the landlord must ensure the property is sanitary, safe and well maintained.
Your home is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) if:
- At least three tenants live there, forming more than one household
- You share a toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants
A HMO can be:
- A house split into separate bedsits
- A shared house or shared flat, where people have separate renting agreements
- A hostel
- A bed-and-breakfast hotel that is not just for holidays
- Shared accommodation for students
HMOs require landlords to provide:
- Smoke detectors in every bedroom and in communal areas
- a heat detector in the kitchen
- Annual gas safety checks, and electrics checked every five years
- A property that is not over crowded
- Adequate cooking and washing facilities
- Clean and well maintained communal areas, gardens and yards and shared facilities
- Enough rubbish bins for everyone living in the house
For more information on HMO’s, the property lettings sector in general or if you are looking for a letting agent in Watford or Rickmansworth please contact Watford@hxea.co.uk or Rickmansworth@hxea.co.uk