Questions to Ask When Viewing a House
I often meet buyers who are overwhelmed at the prospect of buying a house. Even experienced home owners can forget what’s important on a first viewing. I have collated a list of fairly standard questions that I always get asked, as well as some others that I very rarely hear, but would be very useful in making a decision about whether or not to make an offer. I hope this helpful and feel free to add any additional questions in the comment box…
- How long has it been on the market?
- Have there been any offers yet?
- How much interest has there been and what kind of feedback have you had so far?
- Is there any negotiation in the price?
- What direction does the property face?
- Why are the current owners moving?
- Is there a chain?
- Any major works/ maintenance completed recently? Never asked unless something obvious
- How long have the current owners lived there?
- Are there any hidden issues with the area? Or plans in development- major roadworks/ developments etc
- Whats included with the sale?
- How much are the utility bills and council tax?
- What are the neighbours like?
- What kind of properties are nearby?
- Can I try the taps? (ensures there is hot water in all bathrooms and highlights any obvious issues if it takes a while for water to appear)
- Is there room for negotiation?
- What’s the boundary of the property and are there any issues/ disputes with this?
- Any floods or burglaries nearby?